Learner Driver Insurance for young drivers allows you to practice in a friend’s or family car without risking the owners No Claims Bonus
Learner driver insurance allows you to practice between lessons
Learner insurance enables you to practice driving in a friend’s or family car between driving lessons.
Learner insurance is comprehensive cover:
- As the Learner Driver, you take out the coverage in your name.
- In the event of a claim, the car owners NCB is not affected.
Driving practice improves your chance of passing the driving test
What cars can you drive with learner driver insurance?
With most learner driver insurance policies, the car:
- Must have primary Insurance in the owner’s name.
- Be limited to a value of, usually £30,000 and Insurance Group 32.
- Be no more than nine years old.
Who can supervise when you’re learning to drive?
The supervising driver must meet the requirements of the learner driver insurance policy.
- Be a qualified driver and have sufficient experience.
- The legal age limit to supervise someone driving is 21 years old – But most insurance companies offering learner driver insurance will require this person to be 25 plus.
- Have held a valid GB – NI or EU driving license for at least three years.
What are the benefits of learner driver insurance
These are the key advantages of taking out learner driver insurance cover:
- Learner driver insurance cover is usually available for 30, 60 or 90 days and renewable until you pass.
- Gives you the chance to start building your No Claims Bonus before you have even passed your driving test.
- The learner driver insurance is Fully Comp so if you are in an accident, your fault or not, the Policy will cover any claim.
- Most of these provisional driver policies require anyone who is supervising you to be 25 plus and have owned a Full UK license for at least three years.
- Most learner driver insurance imposes restrictions such as a driving time of 6 am to 10 pm, which reduces the cost.
A typical twelve-week policy should cost between £2 and £3 per day (£60 and £90 a month).