Taking the theory and practical test (Quick Read)
Taking the theory and practical driving test all the info you need to upgrade your provisional to a Full licence
Book the driving theory test
You can book the theory test online or by phone as soon as you receive a provisional licence.
You need to have ready:
- Your provisional driving licence number.
- An email address to receive the booking confirmation.
- Be able to pay the test fee of £23 by credit or debit card.
- Your choice of theory test centre to take the test.
Only, book the test with the Gov.UK website. Don’t use an unofficial website they charge over the odds.
Theory test – What happens on the day?
The theory test feels a lot like school exams! You need to pass both the multiple choice and the hazard parts.
You must revise most people underestimate the theory test and fail at the first attempt.
Revise for the theory test with the official DVSA theory test books and digital publications.
You have to pass both parts of the theory test:
- The Multiple Choice part questions on the Highway Code and road safety with 50 questions the pass mark is 43 or over.
- In the Hazard Perception test contains video clips with a pass mark of 44 out of a max of 75.
All the official DVSA theory test videos are here in one place to assist you.
Including: What happens on day & How the Hazard perception works!
DVSA theory test revision
The DVSA produce the official range of theory test and learning to drive Books, Software Downloads, Apps, DVD’s and CD-ROMS.
Booking your practical test
You can book the practical test online or by phone when you have passed the theory.
- Provisional licence number.
- Theory test pass certificate.
- The driving test centre where you want to take your test.
- Have ready your preferred dates and times for the test.
- A debit or credit card for the driving test fee of £62 if taken on a weekday, or £75 for evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
Avoid the unofficial websites when you book, only use the Gov.UK website.
Practical test – what happens during the driving test?
What you have to do in the driving test.
- Read the car number plate of a parked car to check your eyesight. Remember to wear glasses or contact lenses if you need them.
- Show me; tell me two vehicle safety check questions getting these wrong are minor driving faults.
- Driving ability last about 40 minutes (including Independant section) You will be asked to do a reversing movement and maybe an emergency stop.
- Independent driving a 10-minute section to demonstrate safe decision making without instruction.
All the official DVSA practical driving test videos are here in one place to assist you.
Including: Driving test explained & Show me; tell me.
Driving test nerves
There is nothing wrong with being a bit nervous for your driving test.
In fact feeling nervous on the day can help because we tend to perform better when our adrenaline kicks in, and we become highly focused.
However if you feel like a nervous wreck, you won’t be able to do your best and will probably fail the test.
How to reduce the pressure?
- Don’t tell your friends the test date.
- Dress comfortable and girls avoid the heels.
- Sleep well the night before just think of the benefit of passing.
- Be confident! Have you passed a Mock test? Well just do so again on the day.