SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

Your vehicle must remain insured continuously unless you complete a SORN declaration.

Uninsured drivers

The UK has one of the worst records in Western Europe for uninsured driving with an estimated one in every twenty cars on the road being driven without proper insurance.

What is CIE

Continuous Insurance Enforcement was introduced to help address the problem of uninsured drivers. It makes it an offence to own a vehicle without it being insured.

You can’t afford to let your cover lapse and you must have insurance in place from the day your existing policy ends.

The only exemption from CIE is vehicles that have been registered with the DVLA as having been declared off the road. For these vehicles, a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) declaration must have been completed.

Make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

You can make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) online if you are registered as the vehicle’s keeper. You’ll need the reference number on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1 reminder form.

How your insurance is checked

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) makes regular comparisons between the Driver and Vehicle records held by the DVLA, and the records held on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

If you are suspected of being the registered keeper of a vehicle without insurance or SORN, you will be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter telling you that your vehicle appears to be uninsured and a warning that you will be fined unless you get insurance.

If the keeper fails to comply with the advice set out in the letter, they will face:

  • A fixed penalty notice of £100.
  • Their vehicle being clamped, impounded or destroyed.
  • A court prosecution with a maximum fine of £1,000.

Check that your vehicle has valid insurance

You can check your vehicle has a valid insurance policy on the Motor Insurance Database by using the FREE service.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Find a car service centre

Check the garage out first - before booking your service...

Read More

Fixed Penalty Notices

Getting an FPN means a fine and penalty points on your licence...

Read More

MOT test

All cars more than 3 years old must have an MOT test...

Read More

Comments are closed.